Saturday 28 February 2015

It's like homework!


Fatal mistake... I have fallen seriously behind with my blogging, passed the deadline and heading for an after school detention, help!

We left Perth and headed to Cairns where we spent a beautiful seven days in Kewarra Beach with our hosts Leigh and Yosi and their very cute dogs Coco and Mumu... didn't feed them titbits honest.


Leigh and Yosi's house where we stayed in Cairns


Kewarra Beach

Leigh and Yosi were softly spoken, at one with nature, people who lazed under the fan on a Saturday afternoon listening to soul and pottered on a Sunday morning swimming in their salt water pool listening to lazy reggae. A stunning and quirky home and less than five minutes walk to the coconut and palm tree lined paradise beach complete with crocs and killer jellyfish. See mikedevitt.blogspot.com for grizzly and daredevil tales with the full gamut of wildlife that Cairns has to offer... He's my hero lol


Mike at one with the crocs! Yes it's not the 6 metre man-eating croc tee hee

I should mention now that I don't intend to go into detail about our time in Cairns as Mike blogged daily about it. So putting the critters aside (of which there are many) after Mumu did a fine job of catching and eating them for me, I must tell you about the climate. Hot yes, averaging early 30s but that was not a problem for me in Perth. It's the fact that Cairns is in the tropical rainforest which I had never experienced before. The humidity (must add that we picked the most humid month of the year to visit - doh) and constant sweating was a challenge. Mike would probably say that I dribbled on about it, but coupled with the 5,000 sandfly bites, who can blame me? Yes, I did regularly spray myself with repellent and add the cream but it seems they liked me and 11 days on, the bites are still mildly irritating. It's the rainy season in February and March in Queensland, which just happened to be amazing for us because the 2 weeks prior to us arriving, boy did it rain. We arrive and experience 2 or 3 minor showers in the 7 days, but what we did get was the best rushing waterfalls and awesome freshwater swim holes.


Bahana Gorge... hot!!!



Bahana Gorge... yes we swam here

Having had my moan I will now contrast that with the wonderful day interacting with crocs at Hartleys (you should have seen Mike's sheer bravery), cuddling roaming kangaroos and wallabies and watching up close sleeping koalas... So special!




We packed our week full with visiting, excursions, tours, picnics, beaches, rainforest, boardwalks, waterfalls, swimming in waterholes to die for and so much more ....phew. So I will mention a few: 
The Daintree and Cape Tribulation, one of the oldest rainforests in the world which survived the ice age.



Cape Tribulation

Home to Cape Kimberlie (nod to my lovely friend in the beautiful East Malling who will be pleased to know that Aussie land is very gluten free friendly), Alexandra lookout (wow), Thorntens Beach and Alexandra Bay where lush green rainforest meets beach and surf (views to dream of) and sugar cane fields as far as the eye can see.



Palm Cove home of beer and pizza on the beach as the sun set.... Mmmmmm....
More waterfalls, gorges and surrounding beauty than I can list in the Atherton Tablelands and Kuranda
Cairns Marina and outdoor free swimming lagoon at night after a Thai meal and beer. I have to mention here that almost wherever you go there are BBQs, large stainless steel and lit by gas under canopies, for free public use. Aussies buy their meat, pitch up and throw it on the barbie... Anybody can do it, so cool!!!


Cairns swimming lagoon

Of course the extra special award goes to the Great Barrier Reef. Out at 7 in the morning from Cairns Marina on what was described as a backpacker cruise (not at all as all ages and sizes and nationalities) we headed out to the Milln reef (outer reef) via Fitzroy Island.


Fitzroy Island


On route to Barrier Reef

I have run out of adjectives to describe the beauty and experience and I will not forget a moment of the snorkelling. However, Mike and I in head to toe bright blue stinger suits and Mike with a bright pink snorkel may be one memory that fades... Alas no pictures - shame! Returning to land after a day on the reef with beer in hand on the bough of the boat with bikini clad girls and men in speedos (yes they are making a come back here) surrounding us, perfect ending.

Must mentions:
My nail varnish on my nails melted... what the!!!!!
White cars everywhere
So many people with tattoos
My Dad's birthday while in Cairns... Not the best eh Dad!
Attempting to FaceTime my son when he is ten hours behind and doesn't surface before midday aaaagggghhhh..... love you xxxx



Distance from Aus to Sam in Nottingham, Mum and John in Kent and P&P in Sussex


Distance from Aus to Tazzie boy and Dad and Dee in Cyprus

Three sightings of miniature schnauzers - miss my Tazzie boy
Birds and butterflies of every colour and size to admire (you will love it John)


Beautiful butterfly attracted to my beach towel

Netted swimming enclosures in the sea swept every hour so that you can actually swim in the beautiful Coral Sea if you are brave enough.... Not me oh no.
Our Mercedes up for sale in the UK if you are interested... Ok nothing to do with Cairns and finally all bills paid and direct debits closed in the UK... Wow they moved fast - over 2 months groan...


Intrepid explorers!

Onto Melbourne and a seven day ocean drive from Melbourne to Sydney. Really looking forward to this but we will have to be super organised (oh yes my favourite word) as it is a different hotel every night.

So having sat my detention (Mike determined the punishment), I am sure I could do better:
Grade for Michelle Devitt for effort: C (always was an average student)
Grade for Michelle Devitt for achievement : I will let you decide
Love to you all xx















No comments:

Post a Comment